Certificate in Public Communication
Managing Strategic Communication in Public and International Affairs
The Certificate in Public Communication is a highly focused, 12-credit program that prepares students to become leaders in communication-related positions in the public sector and non-profit organizations. Students learn how to create cutting-edge campaigns that employ digital and traditional media, encourage diversity, and maintain a positive public image of their organization. Students will study and produce communications in multiple contexts that may include policy deliberations, persuasive campaigns, and multimedia, in addition to local, state, national and international communications for a variety of platforms.
- Master strategic personal and organizational communication skills
- Increase skill set in oral, written, and other forms of professional communication for the public sector
- Learn how to use digital media to support organizational communication priorities
- Gain competence in communicating with diverse stakeholders and audiences
- Learn how to be effective facilitators and participants in organizational deliberation and decision-making processes
- Deepen their understanding of self-selected topics related to leadership communication, political communication, and public communication policy
- Online application and a non-refundable application fee of $75
- Official transcripts of all post-secondary coursework at a college or university where nine or more credits were completed. Bachelor degree or equivalent is required to apply.
- Essay – What do you hope to accomplish in the future with the public communication certificate?
- Applicants who completed their Bachelor’s degree in a country where English is not the official language of instruction are required to submit either Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), or Duolingo scores. Use code 2027 and select “MSPIA Baruch College” from the ETS list of institutions.
|Required Courses for Advanced Certificate in Public Communication (3 Courses/9 Credits)
|Course Code||Course Title||Credits|
|(CHOOSE 1 INTRODUCTORY COURSE)|
|Communication in Public Settings
|(2 ADDITIONAL REQUIRED COURSES)|
|PAF 9139||Communication Strategy
Mobilizing Digital Communication for the Public Good
|Elective Courses for Advanced Certificate in Public Communication
|PAF 9104||Media, Politics, and Public Culture||3|
|PAF 9202||Civic and Political Speechmaking in New York City||3|
|PAF 9203||Communicating for Equity and Belonging||3|
|PAF 9204||Conflict Management and Negotiation||3|
|PAF 9199||Selected Topic: Strategic Storytelling||3|
|PAF 9199||Selected Topic: Improv for Leadership||3|
|PAF 9199||Selected Topic: Applying Technological Innovation to Solve Public Sector Problems||3|
|PAF 9199||Selected Topic: Intergroup Dialogue on Race and Ethnicity||3|